The 2022 harvest is upon us, and in what’s becoming a bit of an annual tradition, here’s my
list of ten fun facts and bits of wisdom for the 2022 harvest season!
- 2022 is my 12th vintage with MacRostie Winery and the 17th vintage of my career. Time flies!
- One of my favorite things about harvest is the smell of a really fresh, newly inoculated
Chardonnay fermentation—I wish someone would make it into a perfume so more people
could smell it… beautiful!
- For every 1 hour of wine work during harvest, there are about 3 hours of cleaning.
- If a winemaker ever tells you to punch down a 100% whole cluster fermenter of Pinot Noir,
then that winemaker has never been the one to punch down a bin of 100% whole cluster
- Grapes wait for no one. They are ready when they are ready.
- It’s a tossup as to what is consumed in the largest quantity on any given day during harvest:
coffee, water, or beer.
- 1.3 tons of Pinot Noir do not all fit in a 1.25-ton fermenter. Don’t consider it, don’t think about
it—it won’t fit, no matter how much you want it to.
- When it comes to cleaning out a press, grape seeds are your mortal enemy.
- “It always gets done” – whatever the day hands you, no matter how big the task, or how
long you think it will take, it gets done.
- Trust your palate!
May our efforts here at MacRostie in the 2022 growing season bring joy to your table for
many, many years to come!
Winemaker – MacRostie Winery and Vineyards